I, Chris Tremblett, promise to switch to energy saving light bulbs
Potential savings could be 21 Winter Garden Steel balls full of CO2 and £40 per year
Advice to help you fulfil your promise
Energy saving light bulbs have recently dropped in price and are now widely available in a variety of shapes sizes and even colours. They can save you money and reduce your carbon footprint. They are just as bright as traditional bulbs but use less electricity. Update Dec 2010 look how cheap the now are!
If you were to switch 25 bulbs over (the average UK home has 25 bulbs) you could save £600 over the lifetime of the bulbs, this is because they last around 10 times longer than normal ones. They take a fraction longer to get to full brightness but the savings are worth it.
Eco lighting. Top Tips.
As well as switching to low energy light bulbs you can:
- Turn off the light when not needed – If everyone in the UK did this we’d save a massive 400,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide every year
- Use natural light where you can – paint walls in light colours and keep your windows clean
- Use LED in new lighting projects - LEDs are even more efficient than the compact fluorescent bulbs that are currently widely available
- Prioritise which rooms you want to fit low energy bulbs in – you don’t have to do it all at once
- Use a lamp if you don’t need to have the whole room lit
Local Energy Help and Advice
Sheffield City Council - Sustainable Homes and Affordable Warmth
Sustainable Housing and Affordable Warmth (SHAW)
Neighbourhoods and Community Care
Sheffield City Council
PO Box 1918
0114 273 58370114 273 5837 - Sustainability
0114 273 62940114 273 6294 - Affordable Warmth including grants for insulation
Located at Heeley City Farm, approximately 1.5 miles from Sheffield City Centre, South Yorkshire Energy Centre is based in an eco-refurbished terraced house originally built around 1880. The centre demonstrates renewable energy and sustainable building materials and techniques and provides advice, courses, training and awareness-raising for a wide range of users, from building professionals to individual householders and school parties.
The Centre is open to the public from Wednesday - Sunday, 11am-3pm, and for group bookings on Mondays and Tuesdays.
South Yorkshire Energy Centre
Heeley City Farm
0114 258 45740114 258 4574
How's Sheffield doing?
Promises made by the people of Sheffield have the potential to save 528,922 kg of CO2 per year.
Who else has made this promise?
|Assembly||Number of promises|
Your Community Assembly
- carbon promises have been made by people in South Sheffield
- kg of CO2 will be saved if people in South Sheffield keep their carbon promises